Medical Assistants complete administrative tasks and clinical duties as directed by physical. They are responsible for scheduling, maintaining accurate records for billing and insurance coding. They also arrange hospital admittance and lab visits. Medical assistants are skilled and may be asked to give injections, draw blood, and take vitals. They must be task oriented, strong communicators, manage time well and keep organized. At minimum a medical assistant has a high school diploma or equivalent. Some states require additional training if the assistant will be administering clinical services.
These are some examples of job descriptions we have handpicked from real Medical Assistant resumes for your reference.
Front office Medical Assistant
- Greet and check in patients upon there arrival, as well as the collection of any copays or coinsurance.
- Verify insurance for patients up coming appointment.
- Call patients for reminder of next appointment, schedule appointments.
- Scan patient documents into EMR system and attach to correct file.
- Obtained vital signs including: weight, height, BP, HR, pulse ox, head circumference and length for babies.
- Performed EKGs, strep tests, flu tests, urinalysis, stool tests, PKUs, lead/hemoglobin draws, nebulization treatments, vaccine administration.
- Assisted doctor with ear lavage, pediatric caths, pertussis swabs.
- Interview patients to obtain medical histories, measured patients’ vital signs, weight and height.
- Showed patients to examination rooms and prepare them for physician, collect blood and urine samples to send for testing.
- General office duties such as answering phone calls, faxing/scanning medical documents, operating equipment, and performing EKG’.
- Answer incoming calls, call patients back with x-ray results, MRI results ,lab results etc.
- Call insurance companies to pre-authorize medications denied for coverage by insurance.
- Authorization for referrals to specialists through the insurance company.
- Assist all 9 physicians and 2 nurse practitioners in a weekly rotation, 40+ co-workers with an internal lab and x-ray departments.
- Obtain vital signs, room and interview patients for reason of visit with Epic EMR software.
- Educate patients regarding immunizations and obtain signed consents for all injections.
- Communicate with patient regarding patient care, test results, and follow up care as directed via patient portal email, telephone and mail.
Certified Medical Assistant
- Serve as a key member of interdisciplinary healthcare team for a busy urgent care family medical practice.
- Assist four physicians in ensuring optimal patient care and smooth daily functioning of office.
- I am a lead for 13 medical assistants to ensure proper patient care.
- I also take care of placing orders of office supplies, documents, and medication inventory.
- Recording patient’s history, vitals, performing venipuncture, EKG operating.
- Collecting and handling of blood and urine specimens for laboratory testing, including preparing lab forms.
- Assisting in pre-op consultations such as breast augmentations, breast reductions, tummy tucks, fat transfer, etc.
- Assisting in post-op visits including but not limited to; suture removals, cleanness of operative site, removal and changing surgical dressings, drainage removal.
- Welcomes patients and visitors by greeting patients and visitors, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
- Optimizes patients’ satisfaction, provider time, and treatment room utilization by scheduling appointments in person or by telephone.
- Keeps patient appointments on schedule by notifying provider of patient’s arrival; reviewing service delivery compared to schedule; reminding provider of service delays.
- Comforts patients by anticipating patients’ anxieties; answering patients’ questions; maintaining the reception area.
- Collected blood, urine, and drug screen samples as directed by physician throughout the morning and afternoon as needed.
- Answered phones, greeted patients, scheduled appointments, and collected copays/payments at front desk.
- Prepared patients for exams, took vital signs and medical histories, updated any patient information, administered injections and assisted in any procedures/exams.
- Scheduling sick call line for medical provider.
- Prepare inmate patients for examination by taking vital signs, performing Snellen exams, height/weight measurements, pregnancy screening and other data collection as needed for medical providers and nursing staff.
- Assist OB/GYN provider with exams for routine pregnancy and women’s health exams.
- Performed administrative, clerical, and clinical duties under the direction of a physician.
- Scheduled appointments and maintained medical records, billing, and coding information for insurance purposes.
- Prepared patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
- Took and recorded patients’ medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments or materials or performing such tasks as giving injections or removing sutures.
- Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.